Tuesday, January 11, 2011

For the love of Chocolate and Zucchini

Though the days of summer are over and we are in the midst of a cold winter, I happen to have some zucchini in the refrigerator. Now what could I do beside sauteing it, which I have done twice this week and actually get my kids to eat it. Ah, Zucchini Bread and what's not better than chocolate with zucchini. Now many of you probably ate zucchini bread prior to living Gluten Free, but why should that stop us from enjoying the comforts of life. So my mission of the day was to make Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread and have an easy breakfast meal for the morning. So here is my recipe:

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

1 whole egg plus 1 egg white
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/4 cup canola oil and 1/4 cup natural apple sauce)
1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup agave nectar)
1/2 tbsp GF vanilla extract
1 cup shredded zucchini, about 1 small-medium zucchini
1 cup gluten free flour mix (us your favorite mix for this recipe) I used Bob's Red Mill
1/4 cup almond flour, (if you have nut allergies just substitute this for another cup of your GF flour mix)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. xantham gum
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. baking powder

In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, oil, apple sauce, sugar and vanilla.
Add zucchini and mix

Add dry ingredients and mix well.

Pour into greased loaf pan

Bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes, or until bread tests done, I use the tooth pick method.

Cool and slice

Yield, One regular sized loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment