Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Taco Tuesday

Tex-Mex Turkey Tacos Recipe

Well Tuesday is once again upon us and the schedule, routine driven Mamma, which I am, once again brings us Taco Tuesday. Not that we have "regular" tacos every Tuesday. I do mix it up on a weekly basis. Some weeks it's taco casserole, some weeks fish tacos, others regular tacos, and others fajita style tacos. Well this week, we are having Turkey Tacos, I am not a fan of ground beef, for many reasons, but primarily because I don't like the taste. We substitute Ground Turkey for everything which would traditionally call for ground beef. I hope that this recipe finds it's way to your families dinner table and maybe even a Taco Tuesday tradition can be born. Cheers.....


Turkey Tacos

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 pound ground turkey (may be substituted with ground beef or veggie ground)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
One (15.5-ounce) can chili beans (or any beans), drained
One (10-ounce) can Ro-Tel (tomatoes & chiles)
10 – 12 GF corn tortillas, warmed or your favorite brand of hard shell taco shells, I like Mission Brand
desired taco fixings (lettuce, tomato, sour cream, cheese, etc)
1. Heat a large saute pan to medium-high, swirl a Tablespoon of olive oil. Saute onions and mix in ground meats. Cook until lightly browned.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle in mixed spices. Pour in chili beans and Ro-Tel. Heat for about 10 more minutes & your taco filling is ready.
3. Fill heated tortillas with taco filling and desired taco fixings.
Yield: About 10 – 12 tacos

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://mammabanannacooks.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete