Saturday, March 26, 2011

Swedish Meatballs

In the need for some comfort food, yup, that's what I need. Something to warm my soul and fill my stomach. Being that I am half Swedish, and first generation American, alot of my comfort foods are Swedish. One of my all time favorites is Swedish meatballs. This is a recipe that my Mormor (my maternal grandmother) made with a mild variation and that is the meat. I am not a fan of ground beef, in any form. Can't do it. So I substitute ground turkey for everything that calls for ground beef. Traditionally Swedish Meatballs also contain pork, but I opt. to just use ground turkey and they are so delicious and healthier, which is a bonus. If you search the Internet for Swedish Meatballs you will find many variations, many contain, beef, pork, bread, milk, sometimes mashed potatoes, nutmeg, etc.... This is not how my Mormor made them. My Mamma says that the reason for the bread and or potatoes are simply fillers to make the meat so further. My meatballs are simple, you get the flavor of the meat, not the fillers. I serve my meatballs with a brown gravy which is made with milk, lingonberries, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingonberry_jam (think a variety of cranberries, yet better), and mashed potatoes.

1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 finely chopped onion
1/4 cup GF bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well. Form into uniform meatballs, think smaller meatballs, not your spaghetti and meatballs size. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tlbs. butter. Brown the meatballs, turning to prevent burning. Once brown reduce heat to medium low and cook until done.

Brown Gravy

2 1/2 Tbs. Rice Flour
4 Tbs. Butter or margarine
1 C. milk or soy milk
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Browning Sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
white pepper and salt to taste

In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, melt butter. Once melted, whisk in the rice flour. Stir well, about 1 minute. While whisking  slowly add the milk and water. Stir until smooth, Add the Kitchen Bouquet, sugar, salt and white pepper. Simmer for about 3 minutes. Serve






No comments:

Post a Comment