Thursday, August 4, 2011

Au Gratin Potatoes

 

I was recently looking through my Betty Crocker's cookbook, I like to find everyday recipes that are either naturally Gluten Free or can be adapted to be Gluten Free. I saw a recipe for Au gratin potatoes and it looked and sounded so rich, creamy and delicious. Definitely not healthy but sometimes you have to splurge - you know? I was roasting a chicken for dinner and decided the Au gratin potatoes would be the perfect side dish. This was really easy to make (as long as you have a mandolin slicer or cuisinart food processor with the slicing attachment, to cut the potatoes. I used sharp cheddar because it's what I had on hand. I also used non-fat milk because, well, it has plenty of fat with the cheese and butter. It was a huge hit with my entire family. It paired very nicely with my roasted chicken and a fresh green salad.
  • 4-5 large Idaho russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 th inch thick
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1 tbsp rice flour
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
  • 2 cups non fat milk
  • 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)
  • 1/4 dry GF Panko bread crumbs (I use kinnikinnick brand)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Scrub potatoes and peel. Cut into 1/8-inch slices to measure about 4 cups. If you have a mandolin slicer, use it.
 
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Whisk in rice flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat.

Slowly stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute until the cheese is completely melted.

Spread potatoes in casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Bake uncovered for 70 minutes. Mix remaining cheese and the GF bread crumbs; sprinkle over potatoes; add a bit more salt and pepper. Bake uncovered 20 minutes longer or until top is brown and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment